Current opening for position of Executive Director
2020 Farm and Land Conservation Internship
The Vashon-Maury Island Land Trust’s work permanently preserves and stewards land on Vashon and Maury Islands. Our Stewardship program is largely comprised of on-site preserve maintenance and upkeep of our newly conserved farm, which includes removing invasive species and restoring native ones, maintaining trails, and in 2018, growing produce for commercial sales. The Land Trust currently seeks three seasonal interns to join our Stewardship crew from May to September, 2018. Essential Functions Preserve Stewardship
- Work with crew members to accomplish a variety of stewardship actions including but not limited to invasive weed removal, restoration project maintenance, and tool maintenance.
- Conduct regular trail maintenance and assist with trail construction, including but not limited to weed whacking, turnpike and bridge building, and brush clearing.
- Participate in volunteer work parties on preserves.
- Represent Vashon Land Trust to preserve visitors and neighbors.
- Care for annual vegetable crops from seeding in greenhouse through transplanting, cultivation, and harvest in the field.
- Set up, maintain, and operate irrigation system.
- Participate in various building projects, possibly including trellising and high tunnel, small shed, and other shelter construction.
- Carry out site maintenance such as mowing and weed whacking.
- Participate in volunteer work parties.
Requirements First and foremost, you must have enthusiasm for working outdoors and an interest in building a career in conservation. Ideal candidates are physically capable of spending days lifting and using tools and machinery, standing and walking for hours of the day, and safely doing this physical work without injuring themselves or others. As we often rely on volunteer assistance, the ability to motivate others and develop leadership skills are important. Appropriate fields of study include conservation biology, ecology, and natural resources management. Experience on a trail or other conservation crew is helpful but not necessary. Compensation and Schedule This position pays $12/ hour and includes shared housing. It is full time, 40 hours/ week, and temporary (May 1- September 30). We work Monday to Thursday from 7 to 5. Interns will share a three bedroom apartment that has a living space, bathroom, and kitchen. The apartment is furnished and has necessary living amenities. To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com